AMCP Talks: Best Practices in Addressing Health Disparities
Monday, Oct. 18, 2021 | 2pm-3:30pm
Please note this session is not accredited for continuing pharmacy education credit.
AMCP is proud to once again offer AMCP Talks, an innovative education opportunity that mixes short, focused presentations with an interactive panel discussion. For AMCP Nexus 2021, AMCP Talks will focus on managed care organizations and their journey to address health disparities within their organization.
Together, we have a moral imperative to dismantle systemic and structural racism that has resulted in significant racial disparities in health status and access to quality care. Recent events are emphasizing the needed changes in the health care system to provide more equitable access to care, and in managed care this is particularly focused on medication management, adherence, and high-cost treatment. The next step is to ensure health plans and systems also integrate measures that remove health disparities.
AMCP advocates for measures that eliminate inequities resulting from racism and discrimination in every facet of our profession, and for health equity in marginalized communities to eliminate disproportionate health outcomes. Please join us for this interactive, engaging discussion and support AMCP’s commitment to providing access for all.
During this session, participants will hear from managed care organizations discussing specific examples of how they successfully addressed health disparities. You will hear real-life examples of what these thought-leaders are doing. What has worked? What hasn’t worked? What outcomes are they experiencing? Come find out!
At the completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Understand the value of clinical drug prior authorization in supporting cost-effective care in diabetes medication management, comprehend the importance of developing systems to identify disparities resulting from health plan policies and processes, and outline a process that health plans can use to develop interventions to close disparities.
- Evaluate your population to identify clinical program needs, define targeted interventions, and determine effectiveness of interventions through objective measurements.
- Gain an understanding of medication management programs in a Medicaid and dual eligible (Medicaid/Medicare Eligible) population.
- Describe a multipronged COVID vaccine strategy to support equitable disposition, understand the use of person-centered care approach as the basis for designing interventions, and how to utilize mobile integrated health and EMTs to deliver vaccines to homebound.
2:00 – 2:10pm Welcome and Introduction to AMCP Talks
2:10 – 2:50pm Presentations
- Impact of the Prior Authorization Process on Health Care Disparities in Diabetes Medication Management
- Employee Benefits: Social Determinants & Diabetes Outcomes
- Improving Medication Management Outcomes in a Medicaid Population: Results and Lessons
- Organization wide strategy to reduce disparities in COVID-19 vaccination rates in a Medicare Advantage Plan
2:50 – 3:25pm Panel Discussion: Best Practices in Addressing Health Disparities
3:25 – 3:30pm Closing Remarks/Program Feedback
Edward Jai, PharmD
Senior Director and Chief Pharmacist
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sharon K. Jhawar, PharmD, MBA, BCGP
Chief Pharmacy Officer
SCAN Health Plan
Yorba Linda, CA
Aimee Loucks, PharmD
Manager, Specialty Clinical Pharmacy Programs and Formulary
Kaiser Permanente Washington
Kat Wolf Khachatourian, PharmD, MBA
Chief Quality Integration Officer; Clinical Executive Director Employee Health Plan
PSW / MultiCare Health System
Fred Goldstein, MS
Accountable Health, LLC
This event is part of the overall registration process. It will be a free option when you register for Nexus 2021.